HISPANICS represent 19.5% of the U.S. population and are the second fastest-growing population segment since 2000 (1). Regionally, Latinos are relocating to Western PA at double the national rate (2).
We are the voice of Pittsburgh and Western PA’s Latinx community!
AWARD RECIPIENT of the COVID-19 Local News Relief GRANT FUND by:
PROUD Member / PARTNER of:
PRESENTE is a bilingual publication focused on Western PA’s growing Latinx community. Our mission is to share culturally relevant content that keeps our Latino population connected, empowers our community, and elevates the quality of life of Hispanics in the region.
- Inform, educate, and support a population of 30K+ Hispanics
- Highlight regional Latinx accomplishments, contributions
- Share inclusive job opportunities and initiatives
- Foster active participation in the region’s economic development
- Celebrate the rich cultural heritage and customs of Hispanics from over 15+ countries
In addition, PRESENTE connects the English-speaking community to the vibrant, diverse Hispanic population in our region.
Why we chose PRESENTE (preh-sehn-teh) as our name:
1) In Spanish, when taking roll call upon hearing your name, you exclaim presente! to denote your presence at the place.
2) It is a phrase commonly used in Latinx songs after calling out the names of Hispanic countries of origin.
3) There’s no denying that Latinos are HERE to stay (presente!) in Western, PA.
(1) The Hispanic American Market Report ©2019 Claritas, LLC.
(2) Latinos in Pennsylvania: A Turning Point for the Building of a Statewide Equity Agenda by PA Latino Convention.
PRESENTE was founded in 2019 by María Manautou Matos, a Puerto Rico native living in the Pittsburgh region for over 20 years.
As a student board member of Carnegie Mellon University’s Spanish and Latin Student Association, María passionately took on every opportunity to represent and highlight Latino cultures. Under her leadership, the campus held its first Latin American Food Festival to great acclaim.
Years passed. As a Hispanic professional, then a wife and mother, María found it challenging to stay connected to her roots and fellow Hispanics in the region. The population had grown exponentially, Latino leaders were making an impact, organizations were holding vibrant events and yet the news was not getting around. Keeping up with information scattered across multiple Facebook groups and publications was tedious.
There had to be a better way; Western PA Hispanics deserved it…. And that is when the idea for PRESENTE was born!
María Manautou-Matos holds a bachelor’s degree from Carnegie Mellon University and a master’s degree from Duquesne University. She has worked in marketing communications and multimedia for over 15 years, most recently serving as Marketing Director for Brightside Academy. María partners with the Pittsburgh Hispanic Development Corporation, the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, and other organizations serving the local Latino community. As a licensed Bilingual Associate Agent with the Daniel Carinci Agency, María proudly provides Spanish-language insurance assistance, a much needed resource for the local Hispanic population.
For additional information or collaboration inquiries contact: LatinoNews@PresentePgh.com
PRESENTE Pittsburgh Latino Magazine – part of PRESENTE Pittsburgh Media LLC.