Recognized by many as the best soccer player in history, Edson Arantes do Nascimento left us on December 29.
Pelé dedicated his life to his passion for soccer and to great causes. Over the years he visited dozens of countries meeting with dignitaries and political leaders from around the world and he never forgot his roots.
Today we want to share interesting details of his life as a tribute to the “Great Pelé” –
Pelé: Celebrating his life
- He was born on October 23, 1940 in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
- His father Dondinho was also a footballer and played with Fluminense and Atlético Mineiro.
- He won his first recognized titles with the Santos club
- He led Brazil to be World Champions in 1958, 1962 and 1970
- The official FIFA website indicates that he scored 1,281 goals in 1,363 games
- At the end of his career with Santos, he signed a contract to play with the New York Cosmos. His involvement managed to broaden interest in soccer in the US.
- He was married 3 times and had 7 children, some of them out of wedlock.
- He was UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador and UN Ambassador for ecology and the environment, among other functions with non-profit organizations
- He was chosen by FIFA as the best player of the 20th century.
- He died on December 29, 2022 at the age of 82, after a battle with colon cancer.
Rest in Peace ‘O Rei’.